Are you a young writer, artist, or creative?
This is a call for young writers and creatives (ages 15-ish to 25-ish)—and invited professionals—to submit content for potential inclusion in The Storytelling Book of the Ancient Traveler. James Artimus Owen—author/illustrator of the Chronicles of the Imaginarium Geographica—contributed his brilliant work to jump-start the book with his opening pages. For this, we owe him a HUGE thank you.
If selected for the one-of-a-kind, hand-bound, leather volume, your creative work will be published alongside entries from other young creatives and professionals. Simply select one of the items on the Ancient Traveler's List of Objects below, write a short story or create an illustration following our guidelines, and submit it by email. There is no cost to submit your work.
This “synergy arts” project concept is the brainchild of Joanne de Biasi, and will be brought to fruition through Absolutely Wild!, as it completely fits our mission. We will auction the completed book to support creative endeavors of young creatives, like you.
We're interested in customizing our support to the needs of young creatives, so we'd love it if you'd share with us what might help you succeed. Or, if you're a professional, please share what most helped you evolve to where you are now.
Here's how this will go down:
1. You choose an item from the provided “List of Objects” discovered by the Ancient Traveler. [Though checked items have been chosen by another creative, you may also choose that object.]
2. You fill out a form to register your entry, providing your choice of object, type of submission, and contact information.
3. Following our Submission Guidelines, you submit electronic files of your creative work to Fae@AbsolutlelyWild.net.
3. Absolutely Wild! will compile selected works into the original bound collection to be auctioned.
4. Selected submissions will receive publishing credit!
5. A paperback edition of the book may also be published through Amazon.
6. Absolutely Wild! will use proceeds to support young creatives in unique and beneficial ways.
List of Objects
Pick one for your story or art topic.
Objects in bold are James Owen's ideas.
Code for selected objects:
√w = writing
√a = artwork
1. A marble
2. Three frogs
3. An emperor
5. Noble dogs
6. A comet
7. Evil cats
8. A doll
9. Zombie lawyers
10. Willow Trees
11. Kilt-check awards
12. A piece of chalk
13. A kite
14. Demigods [√w]
15. A watch
16. The cursing curse
18. A book
19. Flying pigs
20. A kettle
21. A dragon of unusual size
22. Train tracks
23. Amethyst eyes
24. Royal children
26. A faerie portal
27. Mythical creature
29. A friend
30. A dolphin
31. Blonde hair
35. A typewriter
37. A bag of jewels [√w]
38. A stringed instrument
40. Falling water
41. A heart
42. Other (only a few pages available)
To give you some scope, the page size in the one-of-a-kind, hand-bound, leather volume of The Storytelling Book of the Ancient Traveler is 13" x 13.75." Your entry will be laid out with text and image, and printed on acid-free 12" x 12" paper, which we'll secure in the book.
The stories and images should be about one of the objects from the provided List of Objects. Others may choose the same object... we're not necessarily trying to secure one of each, as we want every contributor to be inspired. However, we will admit only one writing entry and/or one art entry per person. So, you may submit either writing or art, or one set of each. Sorry creators, but to give more people a chance to be in the book, we cannot accept two writing entries, or two art entries from the same person.
To enter, you must be approximately within the age range of 15 to 25 years, unless you are one of our invited professionals.
All submissions must be in electronic format, using the parameters described below. Final files must be received by Absolutely Wild! by midnight Oct. 1, 2017.
MS Word document formatted in single-spaced,
Times New Roman, 12-pt. font
• 1/2 page: up to 750 words
• 3/4 page: up to 900 words
• Full page: up to 1,200-words
JPG format, with color set to CMYK.
• 5”W x up to a 12”H (to fit column), or
• 6”W x up to a 8”H (to wrap text around), or
• 12” x 12” (no bleed), or
• 12.25” x 12.25” (bleed, if desired)
1. Fill out this form to register your entry.
2. Email your story and/or art in a separate email to Fae@AbsolutelyWild.net. Please reference your first and last name, email, and phone number when submitting your entry so we can match it to your registration.